Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Sea Inside Post 1

It is very hard to say whether I agree with Ramon (sorry, I don't know how to add the accent over the "o"). The characters that were opposed to his suicide seemed very ignorant to his situation, but I mean "characters." It is quite likely that those characters were greatly exaggerated to make them as something like villains, and the same goes to the "heroes" who wanted to help him die. There is obviously a huge bias towards Ramon's decision, and the film is most likely intended to convince the world, or at least Spain, that suicide should be an option.

As I'll discuss in my later post regarding this film, Ramon's disability is much less severe than Jean-Dominique Bauby's. The Ramon's situation fails to make me as sympathetic as the film makers may have hoped. He could have done many things despite his condition, but he just didn't want to.

Ramon just seems depressed (although he always has that same smile on his face). He just sitting in bed, examining the meaning of his life. He is clearly not a religious man, since he doesn't believe in the after life, and he would certainly have been more hopeful if he had been one.

Perhaps it is good that Ramon died, as it put him out of his misery. I think that it should be a person's choice, in this case anyway. Sometimes teenagers suddenly hate their life and end it swiftly, and later regret it most likely. However, Ramon has been in that room for a very, very long time, and this was no spur of the moment decision.

So I don't have a clear cut decision. This is clearly a very large controversy. I'll just wait for a law. I think the decision of the court was fine, as I think it is hard to decide whether someone should die or not.

No comments: